In partnership with the Caucus of Development NGO Networks (CODE-NGO), the Mindanao Coalition of Development NGO Networks (MINCODE) and other member-partners will implement a newly-approved European Union-funded Action entitled “Citizen Monitoring LGU Performance – Promoting Accountability and Governance in Health and Social Protection”.
This 3-year project aims to contribute in enhancing local governance through participation of civil society organizations in public decision-making processes and in social accountability. The overall objective is as follows:
“CSOs and community leaders in select municipalities are able to hold their local governments accountable against the Seal of Good Local Governance (SGLG) standards and to influence their LGUs toward improved service delivery performance in health and social protection.”
Specifically, this proposed action intends to achieve the following objectives:
- CSOs and basic sector groups are able to articulate and advocate priority service delivery needs to their LGUs based on the SGLG criteria focusing on the “health compliance and responsiveness” and the “social protection and sensitivity” criteria.
- Leaders from CSOs, basic sector groups, and LGUs co-create or jointly formulate local plans and budgets so LGUs can adhere to people-centered standards of good local governance as reflected in the SGLG and its indicators.
- LGUs improve their service delivery performance and are on track for an SGLG award as a result of CSOs and basic sector groups’ advocacy, technical support, and monitoring feedback.
The following outputs are expected to be produced:
- At least 120 CSO leaders from NGOs and basic sector groups are able to articulate and present evidence-based advocacy agenda and are equipped to monitor LGU performance against SGLG criteria in their municipalities/cities.
- A citizen-centered social accountability and satisfaction survey tool is developed and implemented to provide feedback to LGUs on their service delivery performance based on the SGLG standards.
- Fifteen (15) municipality/city level action plans and budgets are jointly formulated and implemented by CSOs, basic sector groups, and LGUs to achieve priority SGLG criteria and standards including health and social protection.
In Mindanao, this action will be implemented by MINCODE together with its partner implementing member Agri-Aqua Development Coalition (AADC) in the Municipalities of Salug, Liloy, and Labason in the Province of Zamboanga del Norte. This project is also implemented in the Provinces of Oriental Mindoro, Camarines Sur, Iloilo, and Bohol through CODE-NGO member organizations.
This action is implemented from March 1, 2022 to March 1, 2025.